How to get a VAT refund

  • Get a VAT 407 form from the retailer – they might ask for proof that you’re eligible, for example your passport.
  • Show the goods, the completed form and your receipts to customs at the point when you leave the EU (this might not be in the UK).
  • Customs will approve your form if everything is in order. You then take the approved form to get paid.

If you’re changing planes in another EU country and checking your goods with your luggage, you must do step 2 in the UK when you check in.

Getting Paid

You can either get paid immediately at a refund booth, for example at the airport, or send the approved form to the retailer or their refund company. The retailer will tell you how you’ll get paid.

Some retailers charge a fee for handling your form. This money will be deducted from your refund.

If there are no customs officials available, you can leave your form in a customs post box. Customs will check it and contact your retailer to arrange the refund if everything is in order.

Goods you can’t get refund for

You can’t get a VAT refund for:

  • Mail order goods, including internet sales, delivered outside of the UK
  • Goods you’ve already used in the EU, such as perfume
  • Service charges, such as hotel bills
  • New or used cars
  • Goods worth more than £600 exported for business purposes
  • Goods to be exported as freight
  • Goods that need an export license (except antiques)
  • Unmounted gemstones gold over 125g, 2.75 troy ounces or 10 tolas
  • A boat you plan to sail to a destination outside the EU