Registering and sending a Tax Return


If you did not send a tax return last year you need to register. The different ways to register are:

  • Self-employed or a sole trader
  • Not self-employed
  • Registering a partner or partnership

After registration, you can send your tax return online or use commercial software or paper forms. You then must pay your bill by the deadline.

If using commercial software or paper forms, you must use one of these options to send returns:

  • For a partnership
  • For a trust and estate
  • If you get income from a trust
  • If you lived abroad as a non-resident
  • If you’re a Lloyd’s underwriter
  • If you’re a religious minister


HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) must receive your tax return and any money you owe by the deadline.

Register for Self-Assessment if you’re self-employed or a sole trader, not self-employed, or registering a partner or partnership 5 October 2019
Paper tax returns Midnight 31 October 2019
Online tax returns       Midnight 31 January 2020
Pay the tax you owe Midnight 31 January 2020

When the deadline is different:

You can submit your online return by 30 December if you want HMRC to automatically collect tax you owe from your wages and pension. You must be eligible.

If you’re a trustee of a registered pension scheme or a non-resident company, HMRC must receive a paper tax return by 31 January. You cannot send a return online.

Partnership returns if you have a company as a partner:

If one of your partners is a limited company and your partnership’s accounting date is between 1 February and 5 April, the deadline for:

  • Online returns is 12 months from the accounting date
  • Paper returns is 9 months from the accounting date